Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Have Your Say
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 AM

danson79 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice Needed RE: Red Light Ticket

Hi Folks,

Wasn't sure were to post this, but I would really appreciate some advice as this situation is completely new to me.

In summary, I received a notice of intended prosecution for 'failure to comply with a red light'. I remember the night in question well. At a crossroads, I was taking a right turn, which was green lit. The onward road was red. As I made the turn (with two other drivers directly in front of me) the light flashed.

Paranoid but not able to figure out why the light had gone off, I went around the block and returned to the road. The situation was the same - green for right but red straight ahead. I took the right turn again (I was the only person at the crossroad this time) and the light didn't go off. I did acknowledge a speed cam on the other side of the road and deduced that someone else must have been speeding, setting off the camera and hence the flash.

Until this morning, when I received the notice. It accuses me of running a red light that had been red for 46.2 seconds. Except I went right with two other drivers. It would be pretty weird for three drivers to run a light that had been red for 46.2 seconds!

I''ve composed a letter and am returning the form to dispute the offence. I presume this will end up in court, but as i've been driving for nearly five years, frequently with no speed or red light tickets I have no experience in this field and no idea what to expect. Furthermore, can I demand the evidence for this?

I called the number on the letter and a shirty operator told me the camera is never wrong, which is rthe most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. As someone who's been fighting a computer all morning, I can attest that technology goes wrong frequently. More to the point, if there was no margin of error, this wouldn't be an 'alleged' offense, would it?

Please help folks!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

As far as I know you can demand the evidence of the alleged offence.

Also don't forget to use that good old chestnut the Bill of Rights (1689) and demand to be heard in a court of your peers. If this goes to court they will try and take it through the magistrates court, but as is highlighted in a post today by rippedoffagain the magistrates courts are a business subsidary of the ministry of justice, so in theory have no right to hear a case or fine anyone.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks Tam,

I've asked for the evidence, which should be with me by monday, and responded to the Notice by ticking the 'I dispute this' box.

I'll let you know how it unfolds from here...
Old 14-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Ah.

Looks like i'm an idiot...

That'll teach me to glance at traffic lights and assume all is ok because of the cars in front of me. The green light was ahead only. D'oh. The only thing incriminating about the photo is my right indicator though - if it wasn't on I could have argued I was driving forward! (In that respect, despite the fact I was taking the turn, the camera went off when I was driving straight ahead. The first photo has me crossing the line with no turning and in the second i'm driving straight (with indicator on) so that shouldn't have triggered the cam).

Interestingly, they 'can't disclose' if I was the only person with a fine that day, but the camera only flashed twice. I reckon the other two drivers didn't get fined/flashed (including the no-light driver in the battered car) , could this render my ticket void? Could I request anything under freedom of information?

I realise I cocked up here, but i'm a careful driver that made a mistake, not a crazy red light-rushing moron! Had a policeman stopped me that day, there would have been a good chance I would've had a ticking off, but not the full shebang of a fine and points. I'm 'annoyed with the system man' but more annoyed with myself.

Incidentally, why do points stay on your licence for so long? Surely it would make sense to have them on for a year (two at a push) with that time limit starting again if you get further endorsements within that timeframe?