Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Breaking News
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 13-07-2007, 12:28 PM
m55dlc

Don't forget you are at the mercy of the systems of the requesting company. They do not have to finalise the transaction immediately and it may well not net uploaded from their eft machine until that night, or even by batch at a later date. This has no bearing on the rapidity or expediency of the card system. Lets say you are in a bar and you put a card behind the bar and they get you to open an account (by entering your pin). You then purchase loads of drinks and these magically get paid. This is due to the fact that the EFTPOS system used by the bar charges each and every round to the card, but it is not authorised until you finalise the bill.

The technology is there, but larger establishments may process things differently. Oh, and I think you'll find the paper bill example, all cards are debited on the same day when that particular retailer settles the bill with the newspaper supplier.
Old 13-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Still don't care, as far as I'm concerned, it should be removed immediately from my account and transferred to the merchants account like it is back home. That way you exactly how much you have in your account, not this crappy system used over here.
Old 13-07-2007, 03:42 PM
m55dlc

But then again the system you are championing is open to fraud. If transactions are instant, how can you stop your card and stop the transactions so they don't get processed overnight? Horses for courses

(and I do like a good exchange of ideas )
Old 13-07-2007, 05:48 PM

rippedoffagain is on a distinguished road

Of course we won't mention the amount of profit the banks make on the cash "in limbo" whilst clearing.
Old 13-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by m55dlc View Post
But then again the system you are championing is open to fraud. If transactions are instant, how can you stop your card and stop the transactions so they don't get processed overnight? Horses for courses

(and I do like a good exchange of ideas )
Funny you should say that, there was never fraud on any of our accounts in all those years. Our cards seem to be more secure than the cards over here, of course they also have your photo on them and if the photo don't match the transaction doesn't go ahead. For the phone, you have to key a code that only you know. Oh the holgram is tamper proof.
Old 13-07-2007, 09:32 PM

grimbell will become famous soon enough

I like the idea of photo cards would be safer for disabled people especially those who have trouble with remembering their pin number.. so they keep it written down in their purses....a theives paradise.