Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Have Your Say
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 17-10-2008, 07:29 AM

tink69 is on a distinguished road

From my understanding of the law, you may enter the yellow box on condition that the turning you are going into is clear, the oncoming traffic shouldn't have been an issue.
Old 17-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

happyhour has disabled reputation

Correct - here's the bit from the Highway Code

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

PLEASE NOTE :

I am always happy to give my time, advice and support without prejudice and based only on my own experience and knowledge, however, you must seek legal counsel if you are at all unsure of your claim......

Please do not publish my posts elsewhere without my express permission beforehand. Thank you!
Old 17-10-2008, 09:14 AM

buzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1.5 View Post
My lad was photo'd in a yellow box by camera's in Central London turning right after leaving the traffic lights and was prevented from doing so by oncoming traffic. I think he got a 100 fine in the post. Are you saying this is not against the law?
As long as his exit was clear on the road he was turning onto , but was just prevented from turning due to oncoming traffic, he was not driving illegally.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070332

Look at rule 174.

Is a bit of a daft law though, because the road to the right could be clear . However, while you are waiting for the oncoming traffic to allow you to turn, there may have been traffic from the other direction who have turned left and taken up the space you intended on turning into. ( I think!!!)

Last edited by buzz : 17-10-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 17-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

Always ask for all evidence so you can view your so called offence.

The contravention alleged is entering and stopping in a box junction when prohibited. The prohibition is contained in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, Schedule 19 Part 2 paragraph 7. This provides as follows.

7 (1) Except when placed in the circumstances described in paragraph 8, [box junctions] shall each convey the prohibition that no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles.
(2) The prohibition in sub-paragraph (1) does not apply to any person
(a) who causes a vehicle to enter the box junction (other than a box junction at a roundabout) for the purpose of turning right: and
(b) (b) stops it within the box junction for so long as it is prevented from completing the right turn by oncoming vehicles or other vehicles which are stationary whilst waiting to complete a right turn.

Transport for London accepted that the vehicle had entered the box junction for the purpose of making a right turn. It contended nevertheless that the prohibition had been contravened. Mr Boland said that one factor in its view was that it considered that the vehicle was causing an obstruction to the flow of traffic. That may or may not be, but it is irrelevant, since the terms of the prohibition make no mention of it and it is therefore not an element in the contravention.

The terms of the prohibition refer to causing the vehicle to enter the box. The evidence produced by Transport for London in support of its case does not, however, show the entry of the vehicle into the box; it commences later, when the vehicle is already stopped in the box. It seems to me that in order properly to consider whether the contravention has occurred the video recording needs to show the entry of the vehicle into the box since that is the start of the events that will or will not lead to there being a contravention. In the absence of this evidence, bearing in mind that the burden is on Transport for London to prove the contravention, I cannot find that it has discharged this burden of proof. I accordingly allow this appeal.

" the cages we live in are often of our own making"

time for a life style change