Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > OFT Test Case
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 24-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Belibaste is a name known to allBelibaste is a name known to allBelibaste is a name known to allBelibaste is a name known to allBelibaste is a name known to allBelibaste is a name known to all
Default House of Lords Appeal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...ords-told.html

" Those charges "will necessarily exceed by a large margin" the real cost to the bank of dealing with unarranged overdrafts because they were "essential to the funding of the whole current account system", said Jonathan Sumption QC, for Barclays." - The Telegraph

So, is this an admission then that the charges are indeed penalties designed to fund the whole system at the expense of those who can least afford to leave a "buffer" fund in their account.

Please do not be offended if I have to edit out derogatory words or statements from your posts. Sometimes, this is necessary to protect the poster and the site from retaliatory action

Old 24-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Now thast is just how I would have wanted them to start the appeal. Admit that they are charging those leats able to afford it while those who can get away free.

Take from the poor to feed the rich.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 25-06-2009, 09:35 AM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

An admission at last.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

The Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
An admission at last.
And in Lords as well.Whats the betting the banks lose.Looks odds on from where I'm sitting.

Term

The courts shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner

Moneylending transactions as a class give rise to significant social problems.

Astalavista baby and I'll be back
Old 25-06-2009, 12:00 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

I wonder if the HoL would be perverse enough to rule in favour of the banks?
Old 25-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

The Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to all

Quote:
The way I see DL is that they've already lost twice and I don't think its going to be 3rd time lucky.

Term

The courts shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner

Moneylending transactions as a class give rise to significant social problems.

Astalavista baby and I'll be back
Old 25-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

BOUDICCA will become famous soon enoughBOUDICCA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me!
Old 25-06-2009, 05:42 PM

sparkie1723 has a spectacular aura aboutsparkie1723 has a spectacular aura about

Nor Me,

What people must realise is that these Lords will have millions of pounds in shares with all the Banks ....and the banks have got to get their "lost" money back so that they can give a better dividend to their shareholders. and one way is by way of these high penalty charges my bet is that it is 50/50 maybe a little less.

sparkie
Old 25-06-2009, 08:31 PM

nattie will become famous soon enoughnattie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie1723 View Post
Nor Me,

What people must realise is that these Lords will have millions of pounds in shares with all the Banks ....and the banks have got to get their "lost" money back so that they can give a better dividend to their shareholders. and one way is by way of these high penalty charges my bet is that it is 50/50 maybe a little less.

sparkie
They are ruling on the law and not on their dividends. Plus penalty charges has gone from the case already although it is the Law Lords and Lady law lord who have brought it up. I think it's 50/50 on ECJ rather than on the decision itself.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:47 PM

sparkie1723 has a spectacular aura aboutsparkie1723 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattie View Post
They are ruling on the law and not on their dividends. Plus penalty charges has gone from the case already although it is the Law Lords and Lady law lord who have brought it up. I think it's 50/50 on ECJ rather than on the decision itself.
Hi nattie,

I still say money is the loudest talker and biggest persuader known in these modern times

sparkie