Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Housing > Housing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 19-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Assistant Moderator

Jster$$$ will become famous soon enough
Default Council

Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but here goes.....

My friend has purchased a flat (privately owned) He pays ground rent to the local council, who are responsible for the outside of the property.

When the sale went through he was asked if he wanted to take up discounted ground rent. He refused.

If he had taken them up on the offer this would have meant that he would have been responsible for the windows and doors.

Now he has been having problems with the front door and certain windows. The coucil say they are not responsible. After some tooing and froing the council sent a contractor out (but they still say they are not responsible)
Contractor say....oh the front door isn't standard, they wont do that and that was pretty much it.

I told him to start a formal complaint....would this warrant a "stage one" complaint?

J
Old 19-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

I think we need our resident housing expert to answer this question Jster.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 20-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

The Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to all

Any leased property where the Council are the freeholders they have a duty to repair the following:

1) The structure excluding plasterwork,but they would be responsible for any common areas.

2) Windows but not doors only communal doors

3) Installations but only the ones that are exterior to the property i.e gutters,downpipes,drainage etc.

4) The roof if it is a top floor property.

5) External Decorations.

Depending on the type of lease your friend has some have variations which include items outside the scope of a standard lease.As for a stage 1 complaint I personally don't think it would have any effect.

Term

The courts shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner

Moneylending transactions as a class give rise to significant social problems.

Astalavista baby and I'll be back
Old 20-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Assistant Moderator

I find it strange that he was offered a discount on ground rent in return he would be responsible for the windows and doors!!!

How long is a resonable time frame for any works to be completed?

Old 20-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

The Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster$$$ View Post
I find it strange that he was offered a discount on ground rent in return he would be responsible for the windows and doors!!!

How long is a resonable time frame for any works to be completed?

I must admit when I read your post that I was surprised about the discount its something I haven't come across in the 30+ years that I've been working in L.A.

As for a reasonable timeframe for works to be completed first of all your friend should get a copy of the councils repairs booklet which should state the timeframes for various types of work and to what repairs the council will carry out as per the lease agreement.Your friend should also bear in mind that any works are rechargeable if they exceed 250.

Term

The courts shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner

Moneylending transactions as a class give rise to significant social problems.

Astalavista baby and I'll be back
Old 20-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Assistant Moderator

Thanks Term

I will see what he has, I maybe back