Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Housing > Housing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 AM

maybelline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybelline View Post
quick update, water board have sent an engineer with listening equipment, there is indeed an underground leak in the supply pipe so they have issued an order for the repair.
they revised this, and did not issue an order.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

Maybelline its awful i feel for you totally i had a neighbors guttering raised higher than mine and destroying the rear wall of my house to the extent it was going in the cavity and breaking down the wall around the middle of teh house and the areas above the lower windows.

The roof material had perished over the years, through this constnat water damage and birds! who thought they were in a 5 star hotel with baths 24/7.

Theres nothing i can do , Ive made the gutter separate by cutting mine apart and putting an end inbetween mine and theres, and now the water pores down the pipe along an extension and 10 ft out into my garden.

i even offered to pay for all new guttering and down pipes for them when i had mine renewed and they refused.

Its heart breaking.

As its rented rooms isn't there anything that can be done from a landlord association type thing, the laws under which he is allowed to have the property as let rooms?

" the cages we live in are often of our own making"

time for a life style change
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM

thanks, thats an interesting angle, but need to research this. another thing just occurred to me, as it is a joint supply - i wonder how much my water bill accounts for the leak? sorry to hear about your problem with the guttering, sounds terrible. I have to use this room so looking at the paint lifting off the walls and the mould returning time and time again is irritating to say the least, it smells damp, how on earth can i sell this property arrrghhh, I really think I will have to go through the courts now
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Maybelline, just a thought, when the landlord converted the rooms, did he apply for planning permission, as this would alter the way the property is listed for council taxes (I could be wrong here). if he didn't need planning permission, that is one avenue closed off, but if he did, who inspected the conversion and what were the specs for the water supply to each room?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM

ok, no idea, would be surprised if specs and inspections were part of it.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 PM

What about ringing your local council building permit section and checking?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hope this helps, some where someone gave the OK, and some where some how he had rules of adjust ments he would have to follow. Those rules would depend on when they were set.

my friend is having awful trouble with the council now for an extension were as 10 years ago 3 neighbours bumped the same size same extensions up no problems.

The conversion of a building into self-contained flat units or bedsits (i.e. a self-contained unit of accommodation with a combined living/bedroom) requires planning permission. In addition, use of a property for multiple occupation (the occupation of a property by several individuals living separately and independently) also Requires planning permisson

This note provides guidance principally on those standards for flat conversions and HMO's which relate to town planning regulations. Guidance on other standards - including building control and environmental health regulations - is available from the Code of Practice and the relevant Council Services (see back page). It is strongly advised that all such aspects of proposals are discussed in advance of a formal planning application

Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM

hello, it was three bed terraced and now has four rooms (including sitting room) used as private rented rooms. one kitchen one bathroom (i think)

i think there are four tenants presently could be more or less
Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM

If he did the conversion without permission, and even if did you can check if the work was inspected to the required standard. you could bring him grief and in a round about way get your problem addressed at the same time.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

Definitely
I would be on the phone to the council asap and just out of interest as hes been advised this is happening and hes let it continue and so damaging her property, isnt it Tresspassing?

Last edited by Hocuspocus : 10-06-2008 at 03:10 PM.