Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Housing > Housing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 31-03-2008, 11:58 AM

di30 is on a distinguished road
Default Council Tenancy Records

Hi folks.
We purchased our property through council right to buy in 2003, and have been awaiting for some information from our local council regarding records.

I am aware they keep information for some years and so far have been informed some are as long as 14 years after buying the property and others 7 years where data is kept on microfiche.

However, we are waiting as stated above for some confirmation on ours through the FOI (Freedom of information), regarding some upgrades in the past such as for example electrical upgrades and stuff like that.

There are some issues we have raised with the council and when we purchased the property we were not passed any certified information, like if the re-wiring had been done etc and not certain if they do this anyway, but have spoken to others on other sites who have said if anything major was undertaken then when you purchase they either supply you with certified copy or they should at least have records on this.

So far my local council have stated they only have information going back as 4 years......, and tomorrow its the deadline of where they should come back to me about this, after investigating further.

I do have a link to add where you can find your local council and request for FOI, is it okay for me to add this ?

I would like to have your permission before I do this, thanks folks.

I will post more as I go along just to give you an idea of our issues..

Cheers.
Di.
Old 31-03-2008, 12:02 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Di would you hold off adding the link as we do have our own resident Council Expert and he comes up with the goodies when and as needed.
Old 31-03-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Di would you hold off adding the link as we do have our own resident Council Expert and he comes up with the goodies when and as needed.
No problem Dragonlady and that is great, perhaps your council expert could advise me if this is possible ?, thanks.

I just need to know the definate amount of time if possible of how long your council should hold any records of the property after purchasing ?
We purchased in Nov 2004.
And does this vary from one region to another ?

Thanks Dragonlady that's great.

Di.
Old 31-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Lefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of light

di Who did the conveyancing??
Old 31-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
di Who did the conveyancing??

Hi Lefty

Before we purchased the property the council arranged to send someone out from their department in order to give the valuation etc and then we went through a broker who arranged everything for us and the mortgage where they also sent someone out before the offer.

We moved to the property as council tenants in 2001 as the house we lived in before that was very damp where both me and my youngest son with special needs also has asthma.
We had 2 days to move in and in that 2 days were told electrical upgrades were being undertaken.

So we moved in and even though we noticed a new fuse box its just knowing what to look for in electrical upgrades.
We then purchased in Nov 2003.

Over the years things have got worse electrical wise and some electric shocks so before christmas this year as my son has special needs his keyworker from the disabilities team from the local council had arranged through care and repair to send an electrician out, however, the electrician checked behind all switches where he noticed there are no earthing wires in any of these and said the only earthing wire was from the cooker to the water which is also original from 1960's and pointed that the only upgrade were undertaken when waiting to move in here was the fuse box.

With us not being experienced with electrics we do not risk removing sockets etc.

There are 17 houses in our actual street and neighbours said before they all purchased through the council that their re wiring was undertaken years before we moved in where at the time there were a blind couple living in our property since the houses were built.

We was only informed of upgrades to the electrics but no re-wiring which we are already aware of this anyway.

The electrician also said this should have been done many many years ago going by the electrical wires perishing and could go at any time.

When we had the house checked etc, they only switched lights on and off but not removed any sockets etc.

We are aware it is our responsibility and we should see to our own repairs but feel this was overlooked years ago when this should have been done.

I would also like to point out that a friend of mine who was buying the same time has exactly the same house as me just the street behind and the decor and everything was the same and with statements at the time stated the bathroom and kitchen could both do with updated and we had exactly the same statements.The only difference was is that her house was fully rewired by the council years ago and the council value for hers was 55 and mine 60,000, and we both had the 24,000 council discount.
In fact I must say her's was more than likely to be in better condition than ours and her garden is much bigger than ours.
We were going through this approx the same time, I was just about 2 months ahead of her's.

I could go on and on but if you need further info please let me know, cheers so much.

So anything on this will be a great help cheers so much.

Di.
Old 31-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Lefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of lightLefty is a glorious beacon of light

The broker is not the conveyancer (at least I hope not) the broker would have recommended that you use either a law firm or licenced conveyancer.

Or they may have, without your consent, just passed the purchase to some lawyer they knew & who would pay them a nice fat commission
Old 31-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

The Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to all

If you look on the consumer unit you should see when the wiring was last inspected.I would imagine that under FOI you will only see what information that is held in your file.Was the property surveyed before you exercised the RTB or did you have your own survryor to report on the property.In answer to your question about how long councils hold records this varies.Technically records should be kept indefinitly but I know that our lawyers only keep their files for six years and I beleive the DPA states that records only need to be kept for a reasonable time but do's not give a figure.

Regards

Term

The courts shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner

Moneylending transactions as a class give rise to significant social problems.

Astalavista baby and I'll be back
Old 31-03-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
The broker is not the conveyancer (at least I hope not) the broker would have recommended that you use either a law firm or licenced conveyancer.

Or they may have, without your consent, just passed the purchase to some lawyer they knew & who would pay them a nice fat commission

Unfortunately that actual broker is no longer with us, sad we know but he was the one who sorted out the mortgage provider which was Chelsea BS at the time, but we just had the council surveyor arranged by the provider before the offer.
So basically all we have here is a copy of the report of when it was valued by Chelsea's surveyor.
This is just the basic such as property type made by e.surv Ltd Cardiff, the house in itself like how many bedrooms etc etc and here is what it said in the general remarks comments:

The property forms part of a local authority estate development of mainly similar type houses, convenient for local amentities.
The building is od Whimpey No-fines concrete construction.
It has been reasonably maintained in the past and is in reasonable decorative order, but would benefit from further updating to kitchen, bathroom and windows.

There is a also a part where it states:
ESSENTIAL MATTERS:
We understand that the Applicants are purchasing the property from the Local Authority under the Right-to-Buy Scheme.
ESTIMATE COST OF REPAIRS:N/A

So where now folks ??

Thanks.
Di
Old 31-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
If you look on the consumer unit you should see when the wiring was last inspected.I would imagine that under FOI you will only see what information that is held in your file.Was the property surveyed before you exercised the RTB or did you have your own survryor to report on the property.In answer to your question about how long councils hold records this varies.Technically records should be kept indefinitly but I know that our lawyers only keep their files for six years and I beleive the DPA states that records only need to be kept for a reasonable time but do's not give a figure.

Regards

Term

Thanks Terminator.

Just left a post regarding the survey.

I was informed by the local council they will get back to me by tomorrow with some answers before actually going into details with the FOI at this point. They are checking with the electrician side of things with that actual department.
It will be the 20 days response limit by tomorrow..

Di.
Old 31-03-2008, 04:08 PM

The reason I'm trying to find out who conducted the purchase on your behalf is because as part of their 'duty of care' they should have requested valid certificates for the electrical installation or indeed any known building works.

Particularly in the case of the electrics as it was obvious that a new fuse box had been installed