Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > The Vineyard
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 30-09-2007, 10:19 AM

HONESTLY is on a distinguished road
Default Why I am what I am

Long story. I used to be a security contractor for a very big housing organisation. I was initially approached for a 2 week stint over xmas 03. I did a basic letter to confirm and also put down some basic rules. The two weeks turned out to be a 3 year stint. where i was supplying security officers to the housing society etc. They were paying on time. Then all of a sudden i was one night on duty with a new member of staff.(cannot confirm if was a set up). The night shift was a 6-6 and it was at a foyer in kent. Anyway the night progressed and i got the usual volley of abuse from the residents going right down to the racial side. I Dealt with it as usual like i usually do. Including in front of the other member of staff. My shift ended and i went home. I phoned up the same afternoon and asked for the following months rosta. i was told it was being sent out to me. When i recieved their letter it said that my contract had been terminated due to the type of language i used when on shift the previous night. I wrote to the various depts at the housing and they all turned a blank. i was even warned bythe legal dept that any further correspondance would automatically result in a complaint to the police. Also if i were to approch the building where i was contracted to again then i would be arrested etc. However it was only until i issued a small claim and also complained to a employment tribunal that i recieved a statement from the other employee claiming what had happenned that night. The accusations were over the top. Anyway i filed a claim for my 28 days notice. The employment tribunal threw out the complaint as i was a contractor and not a employee. i am now awaitting a hearing date. Story has been cut in places but the housing association i am dealing with is *****-******. After this happened i by chance found the site over the road and things started from their and then XXXXXXXXXXX was born. Now i intend to go back into business when this case is over. Anyboy got any ideas ?

Last edited by HONESTLY : 11-07-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 30-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Perseus used to work in the Security sector, he might be better to help with this.

Being a Contractor puts this into s different perspective and I am wondering if conditions for termination would not be in your Contract. of course the employing authority is also a Union.

Lefty would also be best to advise on this coming at from the emplyment law perspective. O/H used to contract to Abbey, when they installed their new computer systems going back to 1998 and he said his contract stated they had to give him seven working days notice. if it was conduct which was a dismissable/******** offence it was instantaneous. So he had to make sure his subbies were above reproach.

Sorry I can't help any further with this.
Old 30-09-2007, 01:14 PM

zubo is a name known to allzubo is a name known to allzubo is a name known to allzubo is a name known to allzubo is a name known to allzubo is a name known to all

Honestly

I read this but didnt comment because it is not my area of knowledge.
DL has given you best advice - people to help you...

Sorry mate

Z
Old 30-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

Hi Honestly
The only thing i can add is, i can relate whole heartedly. Ive been employed by a few Security firms and its one of the most expendable jobs I've ever known, no backing and an extreme lack of records and procedures.

Ive seen the most amazing cover ups , from drunken managers on call, to security officers using customers vehicles to nip to the petrol station for a packet of fags.

Employees with no licenses, driving company vehicles and the worst has to be an injured guard being denied an ambulance to stop the site he was working on coming under fire by licensing as a problem area. these company's will do anything to keep their customers!!

I will pm you a bit extra.

Amazing when its in a job putting your neck on the line daily.
Old 30-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Perseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to all

Hi

Sorry to hear of your experience here...
I would agree with DL that employment law would be of most support and effect in this case.
Whilst I worked in the Security field, my work was under sub-contract to a security company manpower provider. Whilst the contractor could instruct as and when/where I was required to work, I was principally employed under contract to the manpower provider. If I had a 'run-in' with the contractor, my first call would be to my immediate employer.

I would hope that someone with employment law knowledge would confirm that you do have employment contract rights with regard to written warnings, investigation of 'gross mis-conduct' allegations and termination policies.
Surely, if you were there for 3 years, there must have been a written contract supplied to you by your immediate employer (sub contractor or not), and therefore should allow you protection under employment law governing misconduct by the employer or contractor.
If you have any paperwork what-so-ever regarding your employment there, is there nothing to cover termination, period of notice, right to appeal decisions????
Sorry I can't help more, but I would be surprised if you have no legal standing for a period of notice, or appeal against decisions of termination unless you were dismissed under gross mis-conduct.

Goood luck with this.

Pers
Any advice or guidance given by Perseus or Consumer Credit Support is provided without prejudice, and is based on personal experience only. Please seek professional legal assistance to clarify your particular case. Thank you.

If we've helped in recovering bank charges, please help us keep this site alive for others by donating.

sedit qui timuit ne non succederet.
He who feared he would not succeed, sat still.
Old 30-09-2007, 06:54 PM

callumsgran will become famous soon enough

i would assume if there was a verbal tirade going on (and it sounds like there was on both sides) and swear weords were used then this would indeed come under gross misconduct
sorry Honestly

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally, and my advice is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not intended to be a personal attack on any one person, so please do not take offence

Also they are not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CCS. Thank you!
Old 30-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Swear word or racial words were used by the residents. Which would be normal But i have had accusations of threatning to r***, Asking the same member of staff if she wants to sleep with me, Residents are claiming a knife was pulled on them, I had been there for 3 years and no probs but all of a sudden this one night everything happens. As you may have seen from my posts i never swear. The residents involved have all moved off to various parts of the country and are unavailable as witnesses. As i was unawrae of what would happen or what the mangement was going to do i did not gather any evidence.

Last edited by HONESTLY : 30-09-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 30-09-2007, 08:15 PM

callumsgran will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you said, a set up mate!
Its an unfortunate predicament you find yourself in H and i dont know what your next step would be, what with no witnesses or anything

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally, and my advice is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not intended to be a personal attack on any one person, so please do not take offence

Also they are not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CCS. Thank you!
Old 30-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Perseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to all

You say that an employment tribunal dismissed your case - but there is a hearing?
HAve you submitted an appeal, or is this another course of action you're taking?
Any advice or guidance given by Perseus or Consumer Credit Support is provided without prejudice, and is based on personal experience only. Please seek professional legal assistance to clarify your particular case. Thank you.

If we've helped in recovering bank charges, please help us keep this site alive for others by donating.

sedit qui timuit ne non succederet.
He who feared he would not succeed, sat still.
Old 30-09-2007, 08:26 PM

This is a county court hearing. when i get a date.