Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Bits 'n' Pieces
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 26-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Assistant Moderator

Jster$$$ will become famous soon enough
Default PC problems....again!!

I've been having problem with my PC for a few days and I don't know what to do (what a surprise..lol)

When I open a web page I keep getting the "page cannot be displayed" I refresh, sometime it will and sometimes it wont, same thing with links within pages.......so frustrating

Also its not remembering my passwords where I have requested it to, I use to come here and be automatically looged in but now I have to login manually.

My task manager has been "disabled"

I've had a few virus' but they have been quaratined and deleted. (perhaps its too late now and they've done the damage)

Anyone got any suggestions?

J
Old 26-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Have you tried to do a system restore back a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Microsoft also have just brought out SP3 and if youu have let it do an automatic update, this might have changed your settings.
Old 28-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Assistant Moderator

Thanks DL

I have tried to do system restore but it wont let me.....I tried about 10 different days lol.

I have also found out how to get my task manager back but within 5 mins it been disabled again!!!!

I am going to give up with this surfing soon as it is really tedious and is making me swear alot.....although I really want to buy a laptop with all the bells and whistles............any suggestions?

I'm not using smilies because I know i will lose the page again....but I am smiling through gritted teeth whilst holding my breath and hoping this goes through....lol

Added after 5 minutes of trying to post this....couldn't hold my breath that long!!!!
Old 28-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Sounds to me like you have spyware installed, probably along with some BHO's (browser hijacking objects for the uninitiated).

Try doing a full system scan using windows defender (its a freebie for XP from Microsoft).

If that doesn't get the culprits then try counterspy from Sunbelt Software, you should be able to download a 14 day fully functional trial version.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 PM

courtness is on a distinguished road

hi Jester - have you got it fixed now.....yes Tam, it does sound like a virus eh....J, is this just happening on web or is it slow overall? you can try uninstalling the last thing installed, clean up the registry, and defrag the main drive to sort out odds and ends files. I had SP3 but had to remove it as it interacted badly with other stuff. Having my own probs now with the Adobe reader and cant seem to get it out, update or anything, which is really bad for me as I need to open court papers with it!! arrrrgh! Good luck

and don't we know it![/i]
[/font][/SIZE[/size]]
Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Assistant Moderator

Yes it all seems fine now Courtness, (touch wood lol) There were lots of baddies on my system

Try counterspy as Tam suggested, that found a few things!!!! also HP (aka GV) suggested a few programs which helped out loads. Good luck
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Now keep your computer clean and it will treat you nicely...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

I think its important to advice that programs have to be downloaded and run manually as well as having an active firewall.

I've meet many people who think the PC or programs come as they are and do what they do with out Manuel activation or updating.

So unless you are activating some program's then your not getting a good clean and teh programmes you do use all need updating try it once a week, it will tell you if no updates are available.

I have a
A registry checker, hi jack this, SPYBOT Search and destroy, An Anti Malware , AVG, Zeronet History, Adware and an AVG Antirootkit.

I run them all through separately and surprised to find out over the years they don't all find the same things even if 2 program's do the same thing EG: malware checkers, so I'm thinking they don't all have the same search criteria, listing or what ever it is that tells them Joe bloggs is a baddie.

and I run CC Cleaner through quickly at the end of each day on issues and cleaning mode., and i probably get about one invader a year. Which isnt bad as im not a techy

" the cages we live in are often of our own making"

time for a life style change

Last edited by Hocuspocus : 06-08-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Spy sweeper, Window washer, Trend PCillin all run on mine with daily updates. Once a week I do a complete maintenance, Registry clean up each night when I shut the computer down, window washer does a complete wash for me. The other program I have is Cyber Scrub, it is good, but takes over eight hours to clean and defrag all the drives, gets rid of whatever else is on there and this little baby runs so smoothly. I have most of my stuff on an external drive, so if it the laptop does crash it is all back up and clean. Then again I am married to a computer nerd and I have to keep away from laptop otherwise he does things I am unaware of.