Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Bits 'n' Pieces
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 26-04-2008, 09:30 AM

FANTASY CHARGES will become famous soon enough
Default Laptop Problem Due To Abuse (overuse)

LAPTOP PROBLEM DUE TO ABUSE (OVERUSE)

LAPTOP IS AN ACER TRAVELMATE ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD
DUE TO OVERUSE THE BOTTOM RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE CASING HAS BECOME WORRYINGLY LOSE ( MEANING TH TOP SEPERATES EASILY FROM THE BOTTOM)-- THE SUNKEN SCREW IS TIGHT -- SO PRESUME THE CASING HAS CRACKED AROUND THE SCREW ? ---

LAPTOP HAD BEEN WORKING OK -- GOT USED TO WORRYING ABOUT THE FAN BEING ON SO LONG.

SIDEPOINT ---THE BATTERY NOW ONLY LAST 29 MINUTES --IT USED TO LAST 1.5 HOURS AND GETS VEY HOT INDEED

DUE TO WORRY ABOUT THE LAPTOP GETTING OVERHEATED -- WHEN I SWITCHED IT OFF FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS - I HAD BEEN CLOSING THE LAPTOP AND TURNING IT OVER AND PUTTING COINS ON THE HOT SPOTS TO TAKE THE HEAT AWAY QUICKER (CREATING A HEATSINK) .
I FEEL SURE THIS HAS CAUSED THE PROBLEM

POINT X
(CONSIDER THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF THE SCREEN MOVE ABOUT 1.25 INCHES TO THE RIGHT AND THE SAME DISTANCE DOWN --- THIS IS POINT X)
NOW WHEN I SWITCH THE LAPTOP ON 90% OF THE TIME I GET AT A POSITION X ON THE SCREEN ---- MULTICOLOURED RINGS OF COLOUR THE LARGEST BEING ABOUT 3 INCHES DIAMETER. YOU ALSO GET A VERY LARGE RECTANGLE TAKING UP MOST OF THE SCREEN ---- THIS POINT X IS ALMOST AT THE CORNER OF THE RECTANGLE
THE SCREEN CAN GO INTO ALL TYPES OF ROTATING MULTICOLORS :
WE KNOW THE SCREEN REFRESHES AT A FANTASTIC RATE BUT WE DONíT NORMALLY NOTICE.
IF YOU GENTLY APPLY PRESSURE TO CERTAIN RANDOM POINTS TO THE FRONT OF THE CASING YOU CAN GET SOME TYPE OF VIEWING ---- ITíS LIKE THE OLD COLOURED TVíS WHEN THE MIXTURE OF THE 3 COLOURS WAS WRONG. OCCASIONALY YOU GET LUCKY AND THINGS ARE OK FOR A WHILE.
IT SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING IS SHORTING OUT -- I MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A TOOL TO TAKE THE BACK OFF AND BLOW ANY RUBBISH OFF BUT IS THIS WISE.
CURRENTLY I HAVE A BULLDOG CLIP HOLDING THE RIGHT SIDE TOGETHER MOST OF THE TIME
SPENT ALL YESTERDAY BACKING UP (MANYANA FINALLY ARRIVED)
HAS ANYBODY ANY IDEA ABOUT THE COURSE OF ACTION ???
AS I TYPE THIS DOCUMENT IT WILL SHOW ON THE INTERNET AS NORMAL TEXT
BUT I AM NOW SEEING A CYAN BACKGROUND WHILST THE TEXT IS IN WHITE !! ---- apologies for the capitals but it helps me see what i am typing ---- looks like i will have to get the old computer out that makes a noise like an air conditioning unit.

today we have progressed to mulicoloured verical lines when the laptop starts up

Old 26-04-2008, 09:51 AM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

I would say your laptop is on the way to cyber heaven.

I have a laptop six years old, ok so a bit slow, but it is on contstantly, I use it for the back room of the site, the current one which I use for my day to day work is four years old and touch wood is ok.

To ease the fan problem I raised my laptop to allow more air to circulate underneath and I have found the more programmes I have open the more the fan seems to work. No logic, but that is how it works...

I think ti is time FC to start looking around for new toy. Of course it could be as simple as as your graphics card having a last fling
Old 26-04-2008, 06:13 PM

have had the laptop in bits this afternoon tightened the circuit boards (two collars that were supposed to hold scres had disintegrated -- hence the loose side) cleaned the fan (saw where the ram was couldn't work out where the graphics card was, saw the official heat sink that needed tightening up ) and more important got it back together working much better but not perfect. like dragonlady says am using it on stilts to keep excess pressure off the outer casing

however when i move the cursor over certain titles on this site

then the title refreshes at at least 50 times a second if this is a clue to anyone ?? currently the borders are in purple !!
Old 26-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Turboman will become famous soon enough

Fantasy

I think the maker in the sky is asking for your laptop!!
Old 26-04-2008, 07:44 PM

we "british" keep a stiff upper lip in times of adversity with my "Bulldog" clip holding the side (literally) together
Old 26-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Seahorse will become famous soon enough

My old Hewlett Packerd lappy died last year, due to the contacts on the screen edge connectors not quite "connecting". Acers often use the same brand of screens, and the only answer is a new screen. But with all your other problems, it's probably not a viable solution. I had my hard drive and DVD drive die at the same time, so I opted for a shiny new Fujitsu for just over 300 quid. Well, it WAS new and shiny, but a few trips offshore has soon reduced it to a battered facsimile of the HP. But at least it works. So far. Touch wood.

DL, the more applications you have open, the harder your CPU has to work, and so gets hotter.

Batteries. They only have a finite life. Even the Lithium Ion ones. Although better than the old NiCads, they really do neeed to be left to run completely down every month or so to keep them in tip-top condition. But I'd say 4 years of use is pretty good.

Acers do tend to be cheaper because their compnents are not exactly the most robust in the industry. The plastic is horrible and brittle, but you get what you pay for. And their features are usually fantastic for the price. SO a bit of TLC in exchange for slightly higher spec per buck is quite a good compromise IMHO.
Old 26-04-2008, 09:05 PM

SEADOG THAT BIT ABOUT the brittle plastic is spot on :

As i said the screws were not gripping to the right hand side -- the heat must has cracked the plastic that partially held the 2 screws. this meant the circuit boards becamE not screwed down properly hence when i applied pressure to the top of the laptop i could get some type of screen in funny colours. the cracked bits were stuck everywhere -- they must have had a faint metal content(DOPED!) as they were magnetically attracted to the metal -- and possibly shorting out - note ther is a lot of silver foil on some in some edges inside : the position where the plastic bits broke is where i used to (haven't used it for yonks) plugged in my g3 mobile internet modem -- which costs a fortune to connect :

i have just gone onto google to do an image search and the images are fuzzy so do you think it's the graphics card ? text is ok apart from the purple to the top and bottom and right side edges:
Old 26-04-2008, 10:12 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Most l;aptops have an graphics output you can plug a standard monitor into. that would tell you if its the display or the graphics section.

One of the biggest problems with laptos is twofold. First, most things are built into the motherboard, so if any part of that fails then the entire board needs replacing. Secondly connections are made using what is known as flexible PCB's, these are literally printed circuit boards that bend, and avoids using wires. By their nature these flexible PCB's are fragile and the actual connections are even more fragile.

Over a period of time the heat will cause them to cause problems, often with the actual connection into a socket. Flexible PCB's are NOT repairable.

As Seadog says the batteries need to be FULLY discharged regularly as they do have a memory and after a period of time charge is limited to this memory, however long its charging for the battery may only hold 10% of a full charge, although it will read as fully charged.

Sounds like this one is definitely due for replacement, but please dont get another Acer, apart from them using cheap components to keep costs low they aslso have the worst servie backup in existance.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of £5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 27-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Seahorse will become famous soon enough

I doubt it will be your graphics card. As Tam says, they are normally integrated and probably even share their memory with your RAM. It will almost certainly be your LCD screen that is starting to die, probably along the edge connections where the plastic ribbon cables attach. If you do have a monitor you could use, do as Tam says and plug it in, you'll know for sure. If it is your screen, it will be replacable, but is it really worth it with all the other problems?

The silver foil is there to reduce radio frequency emissions. As all PCs use a crystal oscillator for internal timing, this is why they need to be shielded to avoid interference with your (and your neighbours) other electronic goodies.

For reliable/good service aftercare, I'd suggest going for a Lenovo. Not a name that trips off the tongue, but I think they are actually something to do with IBM. Not the cheapest, but as I said before, you get what you pay for.

Dell is good too, with home pickup and return in the warranty period. But the build quality is not quite as good as the Lenovo. Not bad though.
Old 27-04-2008, 08:14 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Dell used ot have a terrible name for after sales service and product quality but it's improved beyond recognition over the last 3-4 years.

I had to contact them recently concerning drivers after I had to re-install windows on 2 different systems, and they took the product identity tag number and sent a complete package of all the drivers needed by email. Remember that both these systems were well out of warranty and in both cases the package they sent was exactly right.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of £5 per year. Please PM me for details