Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Bits 'n' Pieces
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
Errm....thanks Tam - I sent you an email re this!!

Counterspy installed, and is excellent! 15 day trial full working, but I will subscribe.

All the best folks - Jster, no prob for pm's!

Pers
I know you sent me an email on this pers but the attachment was missing from it lol.

I am using windows defender for spyware on my main computer simply because I am running Vista and it is included, but I wouldn't use anything but counterspy on an XP machine.

Windows Defender and counterspy are actually built around the same basic modules so are very similar in how they detect spyware.

Counterspy is consistently rated as the best detection and elimination of spyware and it's cost is negligable.

I am a member of the beta test team for it so I know first hand how much work they put into each new release. Beta testing involves about 10,000 people trying their hardest to mess it up for about 6 months before it becomes a public release candidate.

Hope it has helped Jster
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Assistant Moderator

Jster$$$ will become famous soon enough

Many thanks to you all for your advise on this.

I spent a good 6 hours downloading, installing, scanning and counterspy along with housecall detected a few nasties

Seems to have stopped the warning messages which is brill

PC still poorly though i think maybe the nasties done some damage along the way.

I'm thinking about signing up for counterspy (replacing PC cillin) although It seems to really slow my pc down alot, but like i said it could be those little nasties.

Tam if you could give any advise on the setup of counterspy that would be great

many thanks again

J
Old 01-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Jster,

Counterspy is actually very simple to set up although it does have an extensive toolkit which can deal with BHO's etc.

I have never liked PCcillin very much, the concept is good but it never really became workable.

It's one drawback is that at times it uses a lot of CPU power so slows things down during a scan (which on average takes about 30 minutes for a full system scan) I always schedule a daily scan for a period when I know I have something else to do (like cook and eat dinner)

I'll gladly help set it up for you.
What other symptoms are you getting ?
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Assistant Moderator

Well I have turned counterspy off (for now) as it really slowed down everything

when i turned it off everything went back to normal speed.

my average full system scan time is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

I have never suffered from pop ups and warnings etc until about 2 weeks ago when all this started to happen.

since doing the counterspy scan and housecall it has stopped the warnings, however i've still had the odd desktop disappearance!!! web pages opening out of the blue (i guess pop ups!) (again I'm no techie)

when i rebooted after counterspy scan it did a scan before booting to windows(blue screen, white writing) (i though i had broke it) eventually it did boot to windows. is it good to keep this active?

I must confess (please no telling off) I should have renewed pccillin about 2 months ago never got round to it, stupid i know, but now i've got counterspy i will be using this from now on, providing i can get it working right.

J
Old 01-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

You should be able to tuen off the pop ups. I have a Google toolbar installed (Be quiet Tam) and I can turn the pop ups off or on. I keep it turned off.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have to say i'm with tam on this one..............that is if he hates them.

why would they start now when in the last 5 or so years i have never had a problem???

tenchnology of today eh
Old 01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Assistant Moderator

Well I cant seem to use any programs anymore!

no printer, scanner, media player, security, they all open and thats it, then goes on to say program not responding

email is playing up too.........keep saying email doesn't exist but that maybe a hotmail thing.

at least internet is still working
Old 01-01-2008, 07:08 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Jster,

Have you tried a system restore?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

Without sounding too stupid.....too late i guess

Whats system restore?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM

system restoire allows you to restore the entire system to an earlier date, as long as you have created restore points

I assume you have tried a complete reboot?