Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Bits 'n' Pieces
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 19-10-2007, 09:56 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Don't do what a colleague of mine did, decide to clean the keyboard and removed all the keys to get the crumbs out...
Old 19-10-2007, 09:58 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Not wishing to detract from Perseus excellent (and long) post but I would suggest taking the machine offline (disconnect it from the internet) and also shut down any anti virus software your running.

AV software is know to cause problems during system routines and could actually flag up a virus attack during it. it's also advisable to disable AV during any software installation.

I would run full AV/anti spyware scans, run a good disk clean up utility and do a registry cleanup to ensure any broken links etc are removed (as DL suggested) then once that is all done run the defrag utiliy.

Any computer starts running slower as the amount of 'junk' on it increases.

As for the keyboard I suspect you have a slow or bouncy letter E key which will only be cured by replacing the keyboard. These are membrane circuit boards and are not easily repairable.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 19-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Don't do what a colleague of mine did, decide to clean the keyboard and removed all the keys to get the crumbs out...
Hey I often remove all the keys to clean them and the keyboard
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 19-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Yes, but you are smarter than the average bear, this person didn't have a clue. I caught her another time with a bucket of water and she was going to wash the computer down (tower, monitor, and give the mouse a good scrubbing..she reasoned working in hospital it was too germy.. (good point) but not with hot soapy water.
Old 19-10-2007, 10:13 PM

callumsgran will become famous soon enough

Lol i know someone who put their keyboard in their dishwasher because he had spilt something on it
He had already bought a replacement so had nothing to lose and it came out well

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally, and my advice is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not intended to be a personal attack on any one person, so please do not take offence

Also they are not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CCS. Thank you!
Old 19-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

I use my Dyson ( gently) it has a plastic top that closes over the end of the hose but it has tiny tiny air holes in it.
Pass over but not directly on to the keys, just hover above, works well but quiet yucky too.
Old 19-10-2007, 10:22 PM

callumsgran will become famous soon enough

I just dust mine out with a dry paintbrush!

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally, and my advice is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not intended to be a personal attack on any one person, so please do not take offence

Also they are not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CCS. Thank you!
Old 19-10-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callumsgran View Post
Lol i know someone who put their keyboard in their dishwasher because he had spilt something on it
He had already bought a replacement so had nothing to lose and it came out well
This and the suggestion by DL of using hot soapy water is not as crazy as they may seem.

I have been in the electronics business for all my working life (don't ask how long as I hate to think about it) and I regularly clean electronic items and circuit boards using exactly this method.

I actually have a 'bath' which holds about 20 litres of water, to which I add a special detergent formulated to remove even deep ground in stains and dirt. This is heated to about 25 degrees ( somewhat cooler than the dishwasher I admit) an electric current is then passed through the solution in the form of ultrasonic waves which causes the dirt to lift off a lot easier than scrubbing. 30 minutes later the items come out looking like new and get washed down with the hosepipe.

As long as they are then thoroughly dried they will work perfectly normally.

Many Years ago when I took my final exams, one of the written questions was what is the first step to take to bring an electric motor back to life after it has been dropped in a muddy pond.

The answer is simple. .... wash it in warm soapy water, it's already wet so no furhter harm can occur, second step is use clean warm water to remove the detergent residue, third step of course is dry it out thoroughly.

I did consider putting down that I would want to know what idiot dropped it lol.

Old 19-10-2007, 10:30 PM

FANTASY CHARGES will become famous soon enough

thanks for all the advice -- it will be about next thursday before i get a chance to try a few things -- quite often i get low on virtual memory -- when the scanner has been used for an hour --- this laptop also gets exceptionally hot underneath where the battery is (i know some have been known to catch fire) it is on virtually 14 hours a day and 500 plus favorites doesn't help .
have been using a free version of adware se lavasoft sweden to tidy up the harddrive
Old 19-10-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTASY CHARGES View Post
thanks for all the advice -- it will be about next thursday before i get a chance to try a few things -- quite often i get low on virtual memory -- when the scanner has been used for an hour --- this laptop also gets exceptionally hot underneath where the battery is (i know some have been known to catch fire) it is on virtually 14 hours a day and 500 plus favorites doesn't help .
have been using a free version of adware se lavasoft sweden to tidy up the harddrive
I do NOT rate adware, especially the freebie version. With computer security the old maxim 'you get what you pay for' is very true.

I always advocate that AV and anti spyware software must be the best you can afford and for spyware I cannot recommend Counterspy highly enough. I know from long experience just how good this software is and at only 20 USD a year its exceptional value. I am actually on the beta test panel for this so I am fully aware of it's capability.

My laptop gets warmer than I like but I know the battery is getting close to needing replacement, have you tried increasing the air gap underneath it slightly?

To be getting low on virtual memory must mean that something is using it, windows has built in memory managers (which for windows actually work well). not knowing what software your running I cant advise too much about this but I suspect you have something using that virtual memory that probably shouldnt be there or isnt needed. Do you have many programmes that start up automatically when you boot the machine? It may help to remove some of these from auto start.