Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Consumer Credit Support > Bits 'n' Pieces
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 19-10-2007, 09:30 PM

FANTASY CHARGES will become famous soon enough
Default laptop keeps mispelling words

my laptop which has drive c 85% full ( drive e a mere 15%full) keeps mispelling words

the letter "e" is the main problem ----
for instance if i type tennant then the letter "e" might eventually (in a second or two) appear on screen as tnnante

to defrag the laptop would take about 12 hours - i left it overnight recently and it defragged only 17 % ------

any ideas
Old 19-10-2007, 09:35 PM

callumsgran will become famous soon enough

FC are you sure its not just that your fingers are working faster than your brain lol
It happens to me a lot!

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally, and my advice is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional.

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not intended to be a personal attack on any one person, so please do not take offence

Also they are not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CCS. Thank you!
Old 19-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

Hi FC
Do you have a touch pad in the center by your palm.
I've been having many problems, most seem to be down to passing your hand over the mouse while typing.

I have a Tecra A2 its a common problem

I have no idea what else it could be otherwise.
Old 19-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Mikne does this but it the operator not the computer.

Have ytou done a registry clean up/ Might surprise you how many broken links there are with deleted files, but still in the Registry.

I use a programme Reg Organiser, it does an automatic registry clean up , the other night it had over 426 entries that related to nothing. I also use an external drive to store all my stuff, which keeps the C drive relatively free on the laptop for the important stuff. I create email stationery which creates thousands of files during a week.

The other programme I use is cyber scrub to clean up deleted files on the hard disk, it does take hours to run this programme, especially as it wipes the disk to Defence standards and this does take all night to do. Well worth it, to keep the computer clean.

Reg Organizer also has a defrag programme.

I also use a full size keyboard and mouse plugged into the laptop. Saves a lot of frustration

Hope this helps
Old 19-10-2007, 09:44 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Sounds to me like CG has hit on the most likely cause FC, as I get the same problem simply from typing too fast.

Defragging is always a time consuming affair when a drive gets as full as yours, although there is stand alone defrg software available that work faster than the windows utility. Dont forget that defragging a drive is a memory intesive affair and windows needs a minimum of 5% free space on the drive to operate at a minimum level. Any free space is probably being used as temporary storage during the defrag process and thus reducing the space free for the windows swap file.

If possible move some of your data files (not software) to another drive before starting to defrag it and delete them from the original drive. This should speed things up and you can then copy those files back again afterwards.

The other possible cause is a fault within the keyboard encoding itself.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 19-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

I have NEVER used the built in mouse pad on my laptop and I carry a real mouse (infra red type) in my laptop case simply because the built in mouse is so much slower and unwieldy. That thing has been turned off since the day I bought the laptop
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 19-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Perseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to all

Yeah - don't use the letter E! lol sorry!
1st question - have you got all updates from microsoft... if not - that needs to be done first, as a patch file for defrag.exe is released on SP2 windows xp.

ok, why it would take 12 hours to defrag at 15% I can't understand, but try this first...
Double click My Computer,
Right click c-drive (if that's your main hard drive)
Click on properties
then click on the Tools tab
on the Error Checking section, click check now
A new little window appears, with 2 tick boxes. Place a tick in both, press start.
Another box will say that the process will strat when you're pc is re-booted.
When you can leave the laptop for a few hours, shut-down and restart.
It will appear to boot up as normal, then a blue screen appears, with check file/checkdisk etc etc.
This is windows, self shecking and self repairing your system files.
Once complete, it will boot up to your welcome/user log on screen.

Do you have any anti-virus, and anti spam/adware loaded, spybot/adaware etc?
Make sure any you have are all up to date.
If not, let me know, and I could make some suggestions.

Now, again when you have time for this to happen, try a defrag.
To make sure that nothing slows down/interrupts this process - are you familiar with system process shut-downs, and/or msconfig.
If not - can advise if required, but in the meantime - any programmes you have running, in the system tray (bottom right corner) - right click everything apart from antivirus, and close/exit/shutdown.

Defrag, and just wait.
In the meantime - to make sure the lappy's not going to suspend/hibernate...
Right click on desktop (in a free area-no icons) and click properties.
Display Properties box appears,
Click on screen saver tab - and change the drop down screen saver box to none.
Below that, click on power, then for this excercise only, change all drop downs to 'never'. Apply...
click on hibernate tab, and untick the hibernate box.
Apply.

Make sure the lappy is running on AC power lead, then wait for it to finish.

Any probs, come back

Pers
Any advice or guidance given by Perseus or Consumer Credit Support is provided without prejudice, and is based on personal experience only. Please seek professional legal assistance to clarify your particular case. Thank you.

If we've helped in recovering bank charges, please help us keep this site alive for others by donating.

sedit qui timuit ne non succederet.
He who feared he would not succeed, sat still.
Old 19-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

or a crumb jammed under your letter pad if your like me and munch at the desk.
Old 19-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Perseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTASY CHARGES View Post
my laptop which has drive c 85% full ( drive e a mere 15%full) keeps mispelling words

the letter "e" is the main problem ----
for instance if i type tennant then the letter "e" might eventually (in a second or two) appear on screen as tnnante

to defrag the laptop would take about 12 hours - i left it overnight recently and it defragged only 17 % ------

any ideas
That could also mean that it is being interrupted by another programme - changing the drive contents, so it's re-setting itself.
close all programmes, other than anti-virus...or follow above post.
Reg Organiser is ideal, but let's get the defrag working, and sys files checked.

XP requires 15% or more for a defrag, for file swapping.
To help, you could right click on your recycle bin, properties and change the individual settings on how much space is reserved for the bin.
Anything more than 1Gigabyte is far too much, I have mine at 800Mb.
This could save you 2gig easily.
Also - do a search for cookies on your pc - and delete them all. You will have to remember passwords for frequent sites (like this one!)

And - check for temporary internet files.
when your internet is open, click on the tools button at the top, delete browsing history, then delete all, tick the box that appears, then press ok.
When you've done all this, you could do a disk cleanup in;
Start/programmes/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup.

Hope this helps.
Any advice or guidance given by Perseus or Consumer Credit Support is provided without prejudice, and is based on personal experience only. Please seek professional legal assistance to clarify your particular case. Thank you.

If we've helped in recovering bank charges, please help us keep this site alive for others by donating.

Last edited by Perseus : 19-10-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 19-10-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
or a crumb jammed under your letter pad if your like me and munch at the desk.
lol - yeah, something that simple...