FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 24-11-2007, 06:56 PM

frisp is on a distinguished road
Default Video card upgrade

I have

Card name: ALL-IN-WONDER 9200 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9200 AGP (0x5961) 256Mb

Need to upgrade to a equivalent 512Mb or higher 3D with shader 2.0 card any suggestion

Second question whats he difference between AGP & PCI & PCI Express?

rgds

MAC

Last edited by frisp : 24-11-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 24-11-2007, 07:32 PM

Perseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to all

Hi Mac
From the card you have, I would assume that you are restricted to replacing your card with an alternative AGP GPU...

That being the case

http://computers.listings.ebay.co.uk...stQQsofocusZpf

Here are suitable cards at varying prices and abilities.

The ATi Radeon x1950 is pretty damn good, but if you have money to spend
Go for the NVidia 7950GT - it is very very very quick/good/shader model 3 supported (and backwards!)
Geforce cards are very good too!

The different graphic formats, depend on the motherboard expansion slots you have available.
You appear to have the AGP motherboard (hence your current card)
The motherboard 'system bus' rating can be anything from 133mhz upward of 2gigahertz.
The AGP system is now older technology, but depending on the board speed you have - and the card used - can still provide blisteringly fast graphics.
The PCI-express system is found in much newer boards, and generally runs with a much faster system bus transfer, and has improved technology for graphic processing on the graphic board.
PCI-e is most definitely faster, with fewer hang-ups - but if you have an AGP board, that would have to be upgraded (which may be expensive - 45-80 for a good spec supporting PCI-e), then you'd have to make sure the board would support the processor you have
ie AMD/AMD2/64 or P3/P4/centrino etc etc.
PCI-e seem to be more for your money, but possibly a few chagnes to make in order to run one.
A sufficient power supply is also required - different power adaptor than board powered AGP!
A lot to consider, and very dependant on your budget, and your demands!

Sorry for the long post - but not a 1 answer resolution (no pun intended! lol)

Any further info - just post up.
PS - if you choose to change your board - would you be selling your current one? let me know please?

Pers
Any advice or guidance given by Perseus or Consumer Credit Support is provided without prejudice, and is based on personal experience only. Please seek professional legal assistance to clarify your particular case. Thank you.

If we've helped in recovering bank charges, please help us keep this site alive for others by donating.

sedit qui timuit ne non succederet.
He who feared he would not succeed, sat still.

Last edited by Perseus : 24-11-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 24-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hocuspocus has a spectacular aura aboutHocuspocus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisp View Post
Second question whats he difference between AGP & PCI & PCI Express?
Hi Frisp not excellent on computers but if you search
AGP & PCI & PCI Express comparison
in google theres some in depth explanations.

" the cages we live in are often of our own making"

time for a life style change
Old 24-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

The Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to all

Frisp:

You can only upgrade to a PCI Express graphics card if your motherboard supports it.All new motherboards come with this type of socket.Agp and pci cards are now being phased out.

Regards

Term

The courts shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner

Moneylending transactions as a class give rise to significant social problems.

Astalavista baby and I'll be back
Old 25-11-2007, 12:04 AM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

I see everyone forgot to mention that PCI express can use 2 identical graphics cards to increase performance to something thats unbelievable

I have a PCI express in my machine and a second graphics card is going in before Christmas.
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 25-11-2007, 06:53 AM

Thanks people that answers my card question.

Pers - The card I remove will be going into my sons computer as an upgrade and theirs will be going into my daughters I can supply you with the spec of that one if you want.

Could you recommend a site with info about upgrading my AGP board?
Old 25-11-2007, 11:50 PM

Perseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to allPerseus is a name known to all

I pressume you're considering removing your AGP motherboard, and replacing with one that is now PCI-express compatibile?

In doing this, and I'll add a couple of links below, you need to check that the CPU, memory, network/LAN card and any other components will all be 1)supported by the new board
2)will actually fit. (ie, some memory cards are 148, 184, 200, 220 pin connectors etc)

1) If the machine is as you originally purchased it, and you have any of the original purchase receipts - it may tell you what you have loaded into it - ie size and type of memory, processor (socket A, socket 7, 715, 454, 939 pin etc)
2) if you are considering upgrading more than the motherboard - it is often best to look for 'bundle' deals with all the upgraded components you need.
As an example, you may need a new motherboard, cpu, memory and graphics all together.
Some sites will offer this. ie
savastore.com
scan.co.uk
ebay.co.uk
dabs.co.uk
Normally shipped, boxed and already constructed - just instal into case, plug in, and you're away.

BUT - there are many things to check, and it wouldd be a very long post for all issuees to be warned of here.

The following sites, MAY give you a reasonable insight into the process.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/blogs/ind...=206&blogid=14 pc advisor
http://www.misco.co.uk/microsites/up...?sourceid=2234 misco

I'll be offsite for a while, but there are some other 'geeks' on here I'm sure can help.
If not, perseus@consumercreditsupport.co.uk and I'll hopefully reply in the forthcoming fortnight.

Research what you want
Decide a budget
Check what works with what you want
Plan your work

REMEMBER - use all caution against static shock - the biggest killer of electronic components.
Use a 'earthing wrist strap, and anti static/non metallic surfaces to work on.

All the best
Pers
Any advice or guidance given by Perseus or Consumer Credit Support is provided without prejudice, and is based on personal experience only. Please seek professional legal assistance to clarify your particular case. Thank you.

If we've helped in recovering bank charges, please help us keep this site alive for others by donating.

sedit qui timuit ne non succederet.
He who feared he would not succeed, sat still.
Old 26-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Thanks Pers, I'm an IT engineer who moved to the light side of the force (Project Mgmt) many years ago so understand the requirements for caution. I'll look thro the stuff you've advised.

The machine I've got is one of the last Tiny sold B4 it went bust, Brill spec at the time as they were trying to offload lots of stock. A bit out moded for the major strategy games that are out these days.

Hence reason for UG

Tks again MAC

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 26-11-2007, 11:41 PM

Tamadus has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisp View Post
Thanks Pers, I'm an IT engineer who moved to the light side of the force (Project Mgmt) many years ago so understand the requirements for caution. I'll look thro the stuff you've advised.

The machine I've got is one of the last Tiny sold B4 it went bust, Brill spec at the time as they were trying to offload lots of stock. A bit out moded for the major strategy games that are out these days.

Hence reason for UG

Tks again MAC
hey Frisp,

Do you know any companies that need a fully certified MCP/MCSA/MCSE on W2k? Although I prefer hardware.

I'm starting to get tired of running around the country and could use a nice desk job
Advice & opinions of Tamadus and the Consumer Credit Support Group are offered from personal experience only. They are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. It is suggested you seek advice from a qualified, insured professional at all times

Please consider making a donation to this site (we suggest 5%) from any charges we help you reclaim.

consumercreditsupport.co.uk email addresses are now available at a cost of 5 per year. Please PM me for details
Old 27-11-2007, 07:34 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamadus View Post
hey Frisp,

Do you know any companies that need a fully certified MCP/MCSA/MCSE on W2k? Although I prefer hardware.

I'm starting to get tired of running around the country and could use a nice desk job
PM me with your email I'll respond & you can email me your CV, I'll put it into my firms system & others wot I'm aware of. Always a call for IT geeks who want to stop contracting.

Hope you can stand the pay cut http://consumercreditsupport.co.uk/i...ons/icon12.gif
Wink

MAC

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.