Consumer Credit Support  
Bailiff Advice Online

Go Back   Consumer Credit Support > Housing > Housing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 15-05-2008, 08:52 PM

maybelline is on a distinguished road
Default water damage

the house next door (semi detached) is occupied by tenants. It used to be a family home but it was sold to someone who has turned it into seperate let rooms. Unfortunately the mysterious landlord does not upkeep the plumbing, drainage etc and there have been several problems and a major leak that has damaged by property twice already. Now my inusurance has increased following their involvement in the repairs - and for the last few weeks, water is leaking again and coming through the walls of the same property yet again! the tenants have asked for repairs several times but nothing happening and I am at my wits end as I have only just got all the damp etc out from last time. Do I just go back to my insurers again or do I issue an N1 for damages in the Small Claims Court? I want this irresponsible owner to fix it properly and stop taking the ****. I have every sympathy for the poor tenants having bathroom water all over their kitchen let alone the rest!
Old 15-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Seahorse will become famous soon enough

Have you been in contact with the landlord at all? Or have your insurers?
Old 15-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Cornucopia is a name known to allCornucopia is a name known to allCornucopia is a name known to allCornucopia is a name known to allCornucopia is a name known to allCornucopia is a name known to all

Is it worth contacting the relevant water company to request an investigation? Something like this is currently happening to a friend of mine. Turned out to be one copper pipe in the foundation that had become corroded. Insurers are paying for rectification, but the disruption has been huge, the whole ground floor of her house is being dug up and removed (new kitchen and all)....it was the water company who identified the problem (it was originally thought to be a leak from the dishwasher).

It is imperative that the source is found, this will clarify the whole situation and it actually might not be the fault of the Landlord, however rubbish he is.

Regards,

Corn x

I am always happy to give my time, advice and support without prejudice and based only on my own experience and knowledge, however, you must seek legal counsel if you are at all unsure of your claim......

Please do not publish my posts elsewhere without my express permission beforehand. Thank you!
Old 16-05-2008, 05:27 AM

Main Man will become famous soon enough

It maybe wise to do a little digging, find out the details of the mysterious landlord and give him the opportunity to rectify things correctly before pursuing him through the courts.

Do you have legal cover on your insurance? this could help you in recovering your losses.
Old 16-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

Have you checked with the local council who the landlord is or do you know this already? Think it is time to have a serious talk with him and mention legal action for the cost of repairs to your place as well as depreciation in the value of you home and you will be seeking compensation from him, if this is found to be the case. If a talk doesn't so the trick, I would then put it in writing, but also do as Corn suggest and contact the water supply company
Old 16-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

The Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to allThe Terminator is a name known to all

Alternativly request that EH visit as it seems to me that there is a statutory nuscience under S79-82 of the Enviromental Protection Act(1990) and they have the power to enforce.

Term

The courts shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner

Moneylending transactions as a class give rise to significant social problems.

Astalavista baby and I'll be back
Old 16-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Assistant Moderator

TANZARELLI is a glorious beacon of lightTANZARELLI is a glorious beacon of lightTANZARELLI is a glorious beacon of lightTANZARELLI is a glorious beacon of lightTANZARELLI is a glorious beacon of lightTANZARELLI is a glorious beacon of light

Good point Term
Old 18-05-2008, 11:03 AM

thanks All - yes I have been in touch before but apparently the landlord lives overseas alot. I do have a UK address but seems to take a long time for a response, I have never had a direct response, only know that my Insurers were in touch before the last problem got sorted and they paid for the repairs, now wall is starting to show signs of water damage again, I have been in touch with EH before because the drains of the property continually overflowed for weeks without it being rectified, they told me they would write to the owner. The owner has in the past informed me 'the tenants dont want to pay rent' as if this justifies his running the property down and that this is not his only property (can only assume the other tenants put up with similar?)
I will get on to them, it is a shame because if he acted quikly I might be saved it leaking through to my house but he has to be dragged kicking and screaming to do anything
Old 18-05-2008, 11:10 AM

thinking of the history of it all - the previous owner made some radical changes to the supply of water the kitchen. It was a mirror of my layout but changed it. the new owner sectioned it all into seperate let rooms and then the problems started with a tenant banging on my door asking me where the stop valve for the water was! no longer to be found where the one in my house is situated I could not help. the bricks outside now have white tide marks as the water has I believe washed out the salt in the bricks and my carpets went mouldy, anything touching the wall also, furniture, pictures, files on shelves!

I will let you know how it works out thanks
Old 18-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Dragonlady has disabled reputation

It sounds like the damp coursing has also been damaged Maybelline. this is not good and I do think your local authority health lot need to step in, after all it is their responsibilty if there is a flood. Do you have legal cover on your house insurance, because I am wondering if this might be a way to get the absentee landlord brought to book over this.