PDA

View Full Version : Police suspend use of all laser speed guns and limit drivers to 100 mph

HONESTLY
26-10-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/201363/images/300x200/policespeedgunpicture.jpghttp://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/images/arrowright_disabled.png
Police suspend use of all laser speed guns – and ban officers from exceeding 100mph

By Steve Farrell (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Profile/?&user-id=500657)
Politics & the law
09 October 2007 11:08

Police in Kent have suspended use of all laser speed guns following a court case, MCN can exclusively reveal.
An email sent globally to all officers in south Kent, leaked to MCN, stated: ‘Following a court case at Folkestone yesterday and in liaison with the ******** Justice Unit (traffic) a review of speed enforcement policy is to be made regarding the use of all laser speed guns in South Kent.
‘Pending this review, NO further FPN’s [fixed penalty notices] or summons should be issued.’
A source has told MCN the action is force-wide.
The email was dated October 4 and said it was hoped the review would be completed within two weeks. It was signed by roads policing officer Phil Sharp and said officers would be notified of ‘any changes in policy required before any further enforcement takes place’.
A second email to all south Kent officers stated that standard police drivers may not exceed 100mph. The email, from area driving examiner Ian Clark, said: ‘Standard Drivers/Riders are trained to drive/ride response vehicles up to, and not exceeding, a speed of 100mph. Therefore, Standard Drivers/Riders will be required to justify their actions if found to be travelling in excess of the 100mph speed limit. Only accredited Advanced Drivers/Riders may exceed speeds of 100mph.’
MCN was awaiting an official response from Kent Police at the time of writing. The force has not confirmed whether the suspension includes LTI 20.20 laser speed detectors used in speed camera vans.

Dragonlady
26-10-2007, 01:12 PM
When they mistakenly clock a tree moving at 40 miles and hour, I think it is time to review the laser gun use.

Hocuspocus
26-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Good and i hope they are prepared on their findings ( if worng) to cancel out all fines in the UK to date and refund all fines, court fines, and any legal costs occurred to persons charged with a laser gun speed ticket.

m55dlc
26-10-2007, 01:28 PM
I've got one kind of pending at the moment!

Dragonlady
26-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Wot??Driving around Telford the wrong way and doing other things that night????

m55dlc
26-10-2007, 01:39 PM
No, doing 68 in a 60 zone on a road that is as straight as a die for three miles and as wide as a dual carriageway but I must be a ******** though.

Whatever happened to being over 10%+2?

Dragonlady
26-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't think they are allowing any tolerance these days. I have noticed driving through Hilton the static warning cameras set at 30 start flashing when you approach doing 27.

Glenn UK
26-10-2007, 02:53 PM
FWIW the 10% 'rule' is a myth as far as i can tell.

It may have been practical guidance, but it has not appeared in statue.

The Consturciotn and use regs basically say you have to have a working speedo and there is no provision for any tolerance. At least it was the case when i was interested professioanly in such matters around 1992 - 1995.

Glenn UK
26-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Sent to me, not sure if its true but it IS believable thought.

Cop this for a speeding ticket...

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident, while checking for speeding motorists on the A-1 North.

One of the officers (who are not named) used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300mph.
The machine then stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

The radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet over the North Sea, which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style.
"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had automatically locked on to your 'hostile radar equipment' and sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, the Sidewinder Air-to-ground missiles aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also locked on to the target. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado responded to the missile status alert intelligently and was able to override the automatic protection system before the missile was launched".

Belibaste
26-10-2007, 02:58 PM
:D:D - I bet it is an urban myth but, I like it anyway!

grimbell
26-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Bet they didn't volunteer to go on speed watch duty again!!!!lol

Hocuspocus
26-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Sent to me, not sure if its true but it IS believable thought.

Hilarious, i could well believe it and nice the police for once, been put in thier place and assured they are not the Top Gun.:D

HONESTLY
27-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Good and i hope they are prepared on their findings ( if worng) to cancel out all fines in the UK to date and refund all fines, court fines, and any legal costs occurred to persons charged with a laser gun speed ticket.

come on you know that the cops would never ever do that even in the name of public service !!!!!