PDA

View Full Version : bank holidays

Jster$$$
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
not sure if this is the right place to post this!!!

does anyone know the whole bank holiday situation and the fact that if bank holidays come out of your holiday entitlement the law will be changing and employer wont be able to do it anymore.

when i've asked my boss about this she just say well you get more than the minimum so it won't affect you.

there are people who work with me who get 21 days holiday and they have to take 11.5 days out for bank holidays and extra days at christmas. this leaves them 9.5 days.(less than 2 weeks) :eek::eek::eek:
J :)

m55dlc
04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
How does the half day come into it?

Jster$$$
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
we have a half day on christmas eve (if it falls on a work day)

rippedoffagain
04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
there are people who work with me who get 21 days holiday and they have to take 11.5 days out for bank holidays and extra days at christmas. this leaves them 9.5 days.(less than 2 weeks) :eek::eek::eek:

11 days for bank holidays! I thought there were only eight. Perhaps the banks have added interest and penalty charges. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/pointlaugh.gif

callumsgran
04-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I was under the impression that bank holidays were in addition to your holidays??????

Jster$$$
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
lol very good ripped.

it does say bank holidays and christmas (we get the time off inbetween christmas and new year)

another thing my boss says about bank holidays is that "technically there aren't bank holidays anymore"

i think they are trying to find ways to get out of paying!!!! they have alot of employees who get the minimum amount entitled to them and if the bank holiday thing comes in they will have to give them at least another 7 days holiday.

m55dlc
04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
I'd say that technically he is wrong and should consult an HR solicitor because his practices are at best Victorian, and at worst..............

rippedoffagain
04-09-2007, 10:18 PM
From the government website

England and Wales
New Year's Day
Good Friday
Easter Monday
Early May Bank Holiday
Spring Bank Holiday
Summer Bank Holiday
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

Dragonlady
04-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Bank holidays are not to be taken as annual leave. There are 8 bank holidays so you have your annual leave + bank holidays. if you work a bank holiday your are to get a day in lieu or be paid either time and half or double time.

I know a good employment law practitioner if need help. What does your Union say about this?

Tamadus
04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
We have 8 'Bank Holidays' or National Holidays a year in this country. These are in ADDITION to the minimum 20 days holiday entitlement given by law.

happyhour
04-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Your half day on Xmas Eve & days between Xmas & New Year can't be considered bank holidays just because you don't have to go to work on those days.

There are 8 public holidays in the UK, and if you work on those days, payment or time off in lieu is dependant on the terms in your Contract of Employment.

Jster$$$
04-09-2007, 10:26 PM
dont have a union. i think they may say say that they can open on a bank holiday and we would have to work....i think it acually come into law in october and they will be phasing it in over two years.

i will have to dig out my contract!!!

it never use to be law...an empoyer had to give a minimum of 4 weeks and bank holidays could come out of this. but now the government are changing it.

we are a little confused as to what we would be entitled to.

i get 28 days but at the moment 8 come striaght off that for bank holidays and another 3 and a half for xmas.

Jster$$$
04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
i don't mind the xmas ones as its lovely to have that time off. i used to work in a pub and we would never had been able to take that time of the year off!!!

Tamadus
04-09-2007, 10:31 PM
By law you have to have 20 days paid holiday a year plus 8 bank holidays 3 of which fall over christmas/new year so that extra half day is either given by the company or comes out of your 20 days.

I don't know of anything that allows them to classify bank holidays as part of your annual entitlement.

Jster$$$
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
no sorry they don't classify them as bank holidays. they only classify the usual 8 as bank holidays and at the moment they are entitled to take those bank holidays out of you annual leave.

it actually becomes law in october when they cant. i think the government has stated two extra days will be given then and the rest will be phased in over two years. (this is for the employees who receive less than 4 weeks after bank holidays)

hope that makes sense

:confused::)

Jster$$$
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
found this on acas website

How much annual leave are workers entitled to?

Most workers - whether part-time or full-time - are legally entitled to four weeks' paid annual leave. Additional annual leave may be agreed as part of a worker's contract.

A week's leave should allow workers to be away from work for a week - ie it should be the same amount of time as the working week. If a worker does a five-day week, he or she is entitled to 20 days leave. If he or she does a three-day week, the entitlement is 12 days leave. Employers can set the times that workers take their leave, for example for a Christmas shutdown. If a worker's employment ends, he or she has a right to be paid for the leave time due and not taken.

Currently, employers who give their staff a paid day off on Bank Holidays can require them to take these days from their four week entitlement. This will change under the Work and Families Act 2006. The Government plans to increase the annual leave entitlement from 4 weeks to 5.6 weeks, so that paid leave for Bank Holidays will be additional to the four weeks holiday. If you work a five-day week, your holiday entitlement will increase from 20 days to 28 days (pro rate for part-time staff). If you already get four weeks' leave plus time off for Bank Holidays your leave entitlement will not change. The Work and Families Act will not create a legal right to have a paid day off on Bank Holidays and this remains a contractual matter.

The first four days extra paid leave will be introduced from 1 October 2007 and the next four days from 1 April 2009. For further information see the 'Holidays' section of the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR).

Jster$$$
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
as i said i a previous post my boss seems very relunctant to discuss this matter.

some of the employee at my work get 21 days so this means their annual leave will be increased from oct.

i feel ****** as i don't think i will get any extra day as i get 28 day already. (when i got promoted i got extra days so i feel as a manager i should be getting more than a non-manager)

does anyone think a company could open for business on a bank holiday so they don't have to up annual leave?

i will post when october arrives